Monday, December 1, 2014

Tumbledown House interview

 
 
Every once in a while, we get to experience a legend in the making.  When it comes to the duo, Tumbledown House, I'd say it's like being in the presence of two upcoming legends, two musicians who are amazing entertainers and time travelers. Two people who span the ages with their music and take us on a journey back to a day most of us have never been.  A time our grand parents and maybe their parents might remember. 
Their sweet and soulful sound makes me imagine a sweaty, sexy speakeasy or jukejoint in 1930s New Orleans~
The last time these folks visited Prescott, where they actually called home for a short time, I had the honor to see them play twice, and did a little question/answer session with them.
Here's what they had to say:
 
 
HTC: How long have each of you been involved in music, i.e. playing or singing?
 
Gillian: I took piano lessons in the 6th grade and kind of hated it except for the fact that Mrs. Gee made killer lemon bars.  But then I took to playing guitar in 8th grade and started writing hilariously terrible songs.  I love singing and writing from then on.  But I didn't perform in front of anybody until I was about 20 years old.  It went terribly.  It took me a very long time to get comfortable on stage.  Meeting Tyler and having a partner up there changed everything.
 
Tyler: I started playing guitar when I was 8 years old.  I found a beat up acoustic guitar that smelled like cat pee in my mom's closet and was totally hooked. 


 
 
HTC: Name one song that reminds you of childhood:
 
Gillian: "Here Comes the Sun".  My dad told me when I was young that it was his favorite song and he doesn't often take to too many tunes, so it always makes me think of him.  I remember exactly where we were when said it.  I don't know why it struck me and stayed with me. 
 
Tyler: "Sweet Child O'Mine" by Guns and Roses always takes me back.  MTV was pretty new when I  was a kid and was pretty influential to me because back then, they actually played music videos. 
 
HTC: Which old song would you each like to cover but haven't yet?
 
Gillian: We just heard Mel Torme's Blue Moon and both fell for it.  He does another one I love, but I can't remember the name.  I'll have to get his record and search it our.  I also love Nina Simone's "My Baby Just Cares for Me"
 
Tyler: I've been working on a version of Sidney Bechet's "Viper Mad" but I don't think it's ready yet. 
 
 
HTC: If you could spend one day chatting with an entertainer, singer, musician from the past, who would it be and why?  What would you talk about? 
 
Gillian: Josephine Baker.  She's my biggest inspiration.  I think I share zero personality traits with that fearless womean, but I put her on the tallest pedestal.  I've watched documentaries on her so I know a lot about her life, (including the fact that when walked the boulevards betweend her shows with her pet cheeta, the Parisians would joke that they never knew which end of the leash held the wild animal--I man, to be famous for wearing nothing but bananas around your waist?  That gal must've had some crazy stories!!!) so, I would just ask her terribly personal questions that the documentaries didn't cover. 
 
(Gillian, I'm right there with ya!  I LOVE her, I adore her wild heart!!! She inspires my soul!)
 
Tyler: I think that, if I could talk to any musician from the past, I'd like to sit down with Jimi Hendrix.  He had a way of effortlessly channeling awesomeness when he was improvising.  Everything flowed and there  and there was never any fear or hesitation.  I guess I'd ask him about that, and how fame affected his artistic vision.
 
HTC: 1st 5 songs on your Ipod right now, or at least, top 5 songs you have been listening to currently.
 
Gillian: I'll just name some artist that rev my jets lately.  Their voices and production really do it for me.  In no particular order:
Laura Mvula, Tune-yeard, Sylvan Esso, Cecile McLorin Salvant, PHOX, Emily King, Sally Shapiro, Polica, Kimbra, Lucius, Y La Bamba, Hurray for the Riffraff....so many talented ladied to choose from!!!
 
Tyler: Dramaphone by Caravan Palace
       Coffee by Sylvan Esso
       Operation Costs by Lusine
       I didn't know what time it was by    Cecile McLauren
       Salvant Chum by Earl Sweatshirt
 
 
Thanks for answering my questions guys! Hope to see your beautiful faces and listen to your delicious music live again soon!!!
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment